Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mom's Homemade Sloppy Joes

  This Sloppy Joe recipe is seriously the best! I grew up eating these, my mom made it ALL of the time and to be honest I've never tasted Manwich nor do I feel the need to because this recipe is amazing. It's easy, delicious, cheap and super kid friendly. My entire family gobbles it up every time I make it... even my 3 year old!
  So here it is, my mom's homemade Sloppy Joes.

Ingredients

1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 lb ground beef
2 TBSP chopped onion
2 TBSP Flour
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce (this is what makes it!)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 C. diced tomatoes with juice (canned or fresh)
1 tsp dry mustard (or 1 TBSP regular mustard works fine too)
1/2 tsp Paprika
2 TBSP Sugar
1/2 C Ketchup

(my mom always added a TBSP of white vinegar so if you like it tangy then do that but I leave it out)

Directions

Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent then brown the ground beef & drain the grease.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
Serve immediately, we like it with a slice of cheese and some potato salad on the side.

Note: If your kids are anything like mine and HATE anything chunky, you can substitute onion powder for the onions and I use canned crushed tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment