Monday, January 6, 2014

Best ever baked Mac 'n Cheese


  This dish is a favorite around here, and as always, I found the original recipe on Pinterest. It is meant to be a crock pot recipe, and as much as I love crock pot food, I totally suck at it. I start with the best of intentions but then I forget about it... until about 3pm, and by then it's too late to put anything in the crock pot. Soooo, I adapted this recipe and turned it into a baked Mac n cheese, done in the oven in less than an hour, and not to brag but I was told by some friends that we had over for dinner, that it was the best Mac n cheese they'd ever had. Yay!
  So here it is my friends, enjoy!

2 cups milk
One 12 oz can evaporated milk (evaporated milk keeps the egg and milk from curdling)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1tsp garlic salt
3 cups (12 oz) shredded cheese (Any kind you like will work but I use cheddar)
1 16oz pkg elbow macaroni 
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

TOPPING
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1C. Panko bread crumbs
1TBSP dried parsley
1/4 (1/2 stick) melted butter

DIRECTIONS
Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente.
While pasta is cooking combine all ingredients and mix well, add cooked macaroni and pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. 
  In another bowl combine topping ingredients and mix well and spread evenly on top of Mac n cheese.
  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Make sure to remove the foil for the last 10-15 minutes of baking.

Note: my family LOVES this dish topped with bacon instead of the panko mixture... which is also delish, but because I hate the way my house smells for the next 2 days after cooking bacon, I only cook it when the weather is good enough to leave the windows open for a few hours. To be honest, you could not top this cheesy deliciousness at all and it would still be amazing, but that's up to you. Just let those creative juices flow!




No comments:

Post a Comment