Sunday, December 1, 2013

Corn Chowder

  This recipe is my oldest son, Taevin's favorite! He asks for it all of the time and I don't mind making it because it's so easy to whip up and it's warm, comforting and perfect on a cold day.
   I found the original recipe here, but I've changed a few things and made it my own so here is my version of the perfect corn chowder.

Corn Chowder

     2 tablespoons chopped onion
     2 garlic cloves, minced
     2 tablespoons butter
     2-3 large russet potatoes, cubed
     1-2 large carrots chopped
     2 cups chicken broth
     1 can creamed style corn
     2 cans corn, drained (frozen is fine too)
     4 oz cream cheese cubed
     1 cup half & half or milk
     Salt & Pepper to taste
    
  In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add the broth, carrots and potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender. Add corn, half & half, cream cheese and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until warm and cream cheese is melted. 
  I like to add a little crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick but that's optional, and if you're feeling super ambitious this is also excellent topped with crumbled bacon.  

Note: If you need to add a little extra of chicken broth while the potatoes are cooking, do so. I've noticed that sometimes quite a bit of the broth evaporates while boiling.                         

2 comments: